Spring is here and it is time for you and your pet to be out and about! Maybe taking the pet cat for a walk, your parrot for some outside time, or taking your bunny out for some time in the yard! It is not just dogs that we need to be concerned about!
Here are some general and then some Species Specific tips to make your Spring the best that it can be:
- Do you have allergies to pollen or other things that your dog, bunny, or cat might track in from outside? Make sure you use a damp cloth and wipe your pet down when the come in from outdoors so that you can enjoy petting and snuggling with your furry friend. Follow this link for some really good information about pet allergies and how to deal with them. I thought that it was interesting that cleaning any skin irritation with witch hazel, using a green tea bag to soothe the irritation, or of course my favorite coconut oil were suggested. I don’t know about you, but I have so many sprays and creams that I have tried with my Wheaten’s sensitive skin! I will be trying these now! Web MD Pet Allergy Slideshow.
- Please be careful about your pet ingesting the following plants when you are outdoors. Symptoms range from vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, lethargy, irritation of the mouth and throat, as well as blood in vomit or feces. There are more severe symptoms with certain flowers such as Bluebells, so keep an eye on what your pet injests.
- Tulips (especially the bulbs)
- Some fertilizers (best to be overly cautious on this one)
- Be sure to get your flea and tick protection regimen underway! Although it seems that as warm as our Winters have become it should be a year round concern, this is the time to get serious about fleas and ticks! I use the Seresto Collar for my cats and dog. It seems to work well, but consult with your vet to find out what works best for you. Here is a great article discussing Lyme Disease in Dogs by the AKC and a sheet on signs of Lyme Disease in Cats.
- As the weather heats up, remember to bring water for your pet and don’t leave them in the car with the windows closed.
I hope that this is helpful! Have a great Spring from the team at Seventh Heaven!